Flights were grounded yesterday, but not just that, they seem to be delayed or cancelled consistently. Let’s face it, the idea of wearing a mask, listening to screaming children and smelling the feet of the passenger behind you in coach, are just a few of the reason why you might be considering driving to your next vacation getaway. Sure, tropical beaches and pina coladas sound amazing while we look out the windows here in Ohio at the gloomy, slushy, rainy, snowy, icy miserable existence that is Winter, but is it worth the possibility of your trip being cancelled all together or best case, sitting in airport for two days waiting on your flight? Here’s a thought, what if you could DRIVE to somewhere amazing in a matter of hours? Here are some of our Ohio getaway faves to consider that might actually put a smile on your face during all this gloom. (And dare we say you might have a little fun?)
- HOCKING HILLS– Yeah, yeah we love this place in the summer too, but if you’ve never been during the Winter season you are seriously missing out. It’s a beautiful winter wonderland and every weather forecast has a different view. The falls, the caves and the trails all take on a different stunning looks whether its raining, snowing, or even in rare cases, sunny! And if hiking isn’t your thing you can check out Hocking Hills Winery, Moonshine distillery or go antiquing.
- SANDUSKY– Ice fishing anyone? We all know we can ride amazing roller coasters or head Put In Bay during the summer, but when they shut down for the season and Lake Erie freezes over… BOOM! Perfect place to try out a new way to fish.
- CANTON– Hidden gem for sure, and not just because it’s home to the Football Hall of Fame. There are bed & breakfasts all over the surrounding area, but we REALLY need to talk about the famous Gervasi Vineyard. Okay, we don’t know if it’s actually famous, but it should be! It’s a gorgeous 55-acre estate with three types of luxury accommodations, Tuscan-inspired villas, a boutique Inn and a restored farmhouse from the early 1800’s. There are three different style restaurants, fine Italian cuisine, a casual dining experience and a cocktail/coffee bar. Oh, and it’s a vineyard so there’s a winery…DUH! But not just a winery with award winning wines, it also has a boutique distillery! Why are you not driving there right now?!!!
- INDOOR WATERPARKS OF OHIO– The kids will thank you. Here’s what we love about these waterparks: They are in cities (Cinci & Sandusky) with lots of other things to do. Head to Cincinnati to Great Wolf Lodge or CoCo Key and spend the day with the kids at the waterpark, then on your way home the next day you can hit up the Newport Aquarium or the Cincinnati Museum Center. BEST PARENTS EVERRRRRR!
- HIT THE SLOPES – Pick your location… Northern Ohio is your best bet for the ski resort feel with Alpine Valley, Big Creek and Boston Mills/Brandywine but you can also take the day trip to Mad River Mountain in Zanesfield. Orrrrrr, you could also take the short drive over to Lawrenceburg, IN and hit up Perfect North, then plan to stay at one of the casino resorts out that way to round out the trip. Now that’s what were talkin’ about…
There are so many options that are driving distance away, take a chance on the tropics (honestly, we get it) but if you want to avoid that whole mess do some research. Or don’t, a lot of the work we already did for you. You can trust us, we’re like the internet, we don’t lie. You’re Welcome.